Friday, May 18, 2012

The Story of Remembrance


1

is the ceaseless attempt to forget.

2

When all that is left is the sound of wanting ---
the soft whisper of loneliness
aching to be spun into song.

Your name escapes from my parched lips;
a sigh barely heard for it has been too long,
far too long.

I give it another try.
Chords for want of stronger sound
straining.

I must utter your name
so there will be no forgetting.

3

On days when the past knocks on my front door like an old friend, I do not quite know how to react. Or if I want to welcome it at all.

But it comes bearing gifts; and almost always, I cannot resist. How can I when they come in such beautiful, ornate boxes? And when, deep inside, I am hoping, encased in perhaps an intricate decoupage of gold, green and silver, I will uncover You?

4

Today I stand before the place where I met you.
My hands are formed into cups nestling the box I have chosen.
This box: striking in its beauty feels oddly heavy in my hands,
its weight shooting daggers of hope in my heart.

I am itching to open the box, anticipating our reunion.
Already my mind is racing ---
How are you? Do you remember me? What do you remember?
Tell me, tell me.

In my haste, I almost didn’t hear the moon.
Its mellifluous voice, mocking, calling me foolish
for believing too much,
for believing in so many things.  

5

It is said that dust is formed from our skins and that if we stay in one place for a long time, an eventual mound of dust shall have formed at our feet.

If this is true, and if by some unfortunate circumstance, the wind comes our way, what will become of us? Particles in the wind, we spin away from each other bearing versions of our story. Away and away, the distance erecting walls between us. What once was ours shall have become yours and mine.

Open it, said the moon. And I oblige.

Nothing.

Save for a thin coating of dust.

I waited too long, I told the moon.

6

Dust in the wind. You and I.
If so be the case, do we still hold the right to ourselves? Do we not become properties of the wind --- our story becoming the wind’s own?

7

The moon was witness to our story and its beginnings. And she tells me in dulcet tones that with each of her motions mapping our days apart, underscoring the absence of sight and sound and touch, a memory is taken away.

The smoke wafting from your half-opened lips, the color of the night, the feel of your palms on the small of my back as you steered me to our spot by a palm tree. Or was it a potted plant?

See how the details are easily forgotten? The moon whispers.

8

I empty the contents of the box into my hands but I am not careful enough.
You slip easily between the slits of my fingers to be blown away by the wind.

9

What am I to make of this?
It seems so unfair when all I want is to talk to you so desperately.
And so I whisper stories of my day to the wind hoping that somehow it gets to you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something! And you don't even have to rhyme or wax poetic.