Saturday, February 4, 2012

The perils of distance learning, and second chances

I'm on my second chance at finishing my postgraduate degree after foolishly going on AWOL a couple of years back. That was foolish of me because I was doing pretty well and the subject wasn't that heavy or difficult. The simple reason why I stopped was time or the lack thereof. I'd shifted gears and the adjustments were too much for me. Before I knew it, I was way behind my schoolwork and I'd lost the drive to catch up. I simply let it go.

Now that I'm back, I'm experiencing deja vu of sorts. I'm a little behind in one of my subjects, Research Development and Management, and I'm doing my best to catch up. Thus, this weekend I'd planned on holing up in the condo and had forgone any plans of catching this queer-themed play I was looking forward to watching. Sacrifices. Sacrifices. We all have to make sacrifices and today (and for the rest of the weekend), I'm taking one for the team. I would love to think my attitude towards my studies have taken a turn for the better considering that plans to pursue a scholarship is in the works. And I believe that with this degree, I shall have improved my chances quite substantially.

Not to rationalize my AWOL episode in the past but there are indeed difficulties, challenges if you may, in distance learning. I'm enrolled at the UP Open University and I can vouch that it's not as easy as it seems or sounds. Take it from me; I was wrapped up in the misconception that distance learning will be a walk in the park with lots of opportunities to stop and smell the sampaguitas. The beauty of distance learning which is essentially learning with the convenience of doing it in your own time, wherever you choose to be in the world and in your own pace, is also its bane. Distance learners tend to forget they are "in school." This much has happened to me and continues to happen from time to time. Because distance learners don't enjoy the typical classroom set-up, they lack benchmarks with which to compare their progress. I've often had to trudge blindly into the world of some of my subjects without knowing for certain if I'm on the right track. But this is not to say we are left to run around like headless chickens by our professors. Quite the contrary. Our professors are always there, just an e-mail away, and generously provide their feedback and assistance to make life easy for all of us. It, therefore, lies on the distance learner to take initiative and be proactive in her studies. 

For this distance learner, that lesson is still being learned. It's an uphill climb for me but I'm determined to see this through. Second chances are hard to come by and I consider myself lucky with the ease of readmission UPOU has given me.

Alright, folks! This distance learner is rolling up her sleeves to get to work.

Readings galore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something! And you don't even have to rhyme or wax poetic.